January 2, 2014

2014 : live passionately

Whether you celebrate Chanukah, Solstice, Christmas or Kwanzaa, I hope you have had a wonderful, peaceful holiday week and a blessed New Year!


Let me ask you:

What are you passionate about?

-Family
-Education
-Social Justice
-The Environment
-Travel
-Community
-Sports
-Science
-Financial Independence
-Languages

What you are passionate about will be the thing the fuels your dream, fuels your whole life, if you let it.


The best dreams are passion driven. They are the natural outgrowth of that deeply rooted fire in your chest that, if you’re like most people, you don’t feed nearly often enough.

Find your passion. Maybe you have more than one.

For me, my passions include

-My Family
-Health
-Travel
-Education
-Social Justice

These are the things I get fired up about, they’re the things I live and breathe, they’re the things that drive my dreams and my life choices.

These are my “Why.”

What is driving you? Look hard at what motivates you, what you get excited about, what you’re willing to joyfully spend your free time on. These are your passions.

It’s imperative in defining your dream that you define your passions & find your “Why.”

What are your dreams?

This is a tough question for some people to answer because they’ve neglected their dreams for so long that they honestly don’t know.

If you don’t know, how do you begin to know?


Take two hours and go somewhere alone. Don’t take your phone. Don’t take anything but a notebook and a pen.

For the first hour just walk. Quiet your mind, let go of the worries, the stresses, the daily nonsense. Acknowledge it as it comes to the surface and then let it go. Reclaim your brain space.

For the second hour, find a place to write.

1. Start with a description of your perfect day
2. Next describe where you thought you’d be now, when you were twenty
3. Next make a bullet point list of what your dreams WERE when you were younger
4. List what you’d do with your career if you could do anything you wanted
5. Next make a bullet point list of what you wish you could do now if time and money were not an obstacle
6. Circle the five you most want

If you’re half of a partnership then give your partner the time to do the same and combine the lists.

These are your dreams.

So now you’ve got a list of dreams. Good for you, that’s a start.


Now you have to pick one. Which dream do you want the most? Which one are you ready to sell your soul for (newsflash: you’re selling your soul for SOMETHING all the time… don’t you think it’s time to sell it for something you actually want?)

You have to believe that you can have it.

You have to believe that you are worth it.

You have to believe that you are, in fact, capable of greatness and find that inside yourself.

Do you believe those things? Even if you don’t quite, just yet, start speaking them to yourself.

It’s a new year, my friends. You’ve got the power to write its story however you like. Make this your year of living passionately and committing to your dreams!

2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic Maria! As you know, this past year has been one of intense self-discovery form me and I'm only starting to figure out what my passion is (though that might change again!). My old boss said something to me that stuck. She told me that "how you choose to spend a Saturday afternoon with absolutely no obligations is often a sign into what your passion is". For me, nothing makes me happier than spending a Saturday Afternoon baking in the kitchen, so I'm going to roll with that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So proud of you! It takes guts and love to follow your passion! With your attitude, you will be incredible at everything you do. I’m so excited to see what you are going to be presenting this year!

      I love what your old boss said to you btw. 2014 is full of hope..so go make it your best year ever!

      Delete

Sharing is Caring...